Mould is not pleasant to live with. Gone unchecked, mould can spread very quickly to other areas of the home. Some people may have an allergic reaction to the spores it releases. Depending on the extent of growth, you may be able to get rid of the problem yourself. For persistent issues, you may have to resort to a professional.
For areas under 1 sq. Metre (11 sq. ft.), you can attempt these methods on any substrate excluding drywall. For areas larger, please consult a professional company for remediation.
It’s ideal to prevent the development of mould to begin with, after removing the mould, takes steps to stop it from coming back. Managing moisture is the most important part.
Bleach it off
The typical wisdom is to use bleach. While not necessary, bleach is effective on floors, walls, and ceilings. However, bleach isn’t the safest ingredient to use. It has a harsh, strong, noxious odor and it’s toxic. If you’re looking for the cheapest option, dilute the bleach and wash the mould off. Understand that the roots of the colony may not be affected. Also, bleach can damage or change the colour of the areas applied to.
Borax is better
Although still a strong chemical, it is a slightly better option than bleach. If purchased in powder form, activate the Borax by mixing with water. As with the bleach or detergent, rinse the affected area using a cloth or sponge. Do not rinse afterwards, as the residual will deter future mould growth. Furthermore, you can use it on absorbent surfaces.
You may try to clean mould with other cheap household supplies:
- Ammonia, like bleach, only works on hard surfaces
- Detergent and water, again, like bleach, only works on hard surfaces
- Hydrogen peroxide, which is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral
- Vinegar, a natural solution, is effective on 82% of mould strains
- Baking soda, which will assist in removing the smell released by mould
- Tea tree oil, which is a highly effective way of killing mould
- Grapefruit seed extract can work and is natural but very costly
- Concrobium Mould Control is a liquid which crushes the mould when it dries
Safe removal of mould
Disturbing mould can release more organic material into the air. You should protect yourself from exposure to it, especially if you are allergic. Most importantly, you should equip yourself with a breathing mask. Masks that come with a HEPA filter will help you breathe safely. Eye masks, gloves, and a protective suit will prevent exposure to the fungus.
Leave a Reply
The comments are closed.
- Mould Myths Exposed
- When to Use an Industrial Hygienist
- Take Action Against Radon Gas
- Topics to Consider when Purchasing a Home | Topic 6: Basements
- Topics to Consider when Purchasing a Home | Topic 5: Roofing
- August 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- November 2014
- September 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- October 2013
- August 2013
- December 2012