Radon: An invisible hazard that may be found in your home

The Canadian Cancer Society estimates that 3,000 Canadians have died from lung cancer that was caused by high levels of radon within the bloodstream.  Many surveys have been conducted throughout the years and one finding is evident: the majority of citizens are unaware of the health implications of radon or even of its potential existence in homes.

What is Radon?

Colourless and odourless, radon is a natural radioactive gas that’s harmful properties can be emitted through soil. Scientifically, radon forms when uranium in soil breaks down. When the gas is released into enclosed spaces, such as homes, high levels can collect over time and lead to serious health issues.

Health Risks

Most people are exposed to small amount of the gas over time, which is harmless. When you are exposed to radon in high levels, the gas can infect your lungs over time. Radon particles are absorbed by lung tissue, which results in decay with a high risk of developing lung cancer. Once a person has inhaled a potent amount, the damage is often irreversible, especially if they smoke cigarettes. Since the gas is completely untraceable, most people affected by it only find out once they are terminally ill.

Test Your Home

It is extremely imperative that your home be tested for radon gas emissions.  No matter where you live in the country, your home may be affected. Testing for radon is not difficult. Test kits are available at a low cost. It is important to note that if you are in a legal situation, seek testing on a commercial level, or are selling/buying a home, to get a professional to test for radon. The test will include the exact levels and a written verification by a professional. This will ensure the health and safety of everyone involved as well as peace of mind.


Post Comments0

Leave a Reply

The comments are closed.